Via Posse List
A Staff Attorney also performs certain substantive non-chargeable tasks as necessary, including participation in regular meetings with the Group; and other non-billable matters related to the Firm’s business.
The Staff Attorney is generally not expected to participate in formal legal proceedings such as regulatory proceedings, depositions, court hearings, mediations, arbitrations, or trials, or to sign pleadings or other legally operative documents on behalf of the Firm or its clients. The overall annual hours’ expectation for Staff Attorneys is 1,750 quality hours, of which a minimum of 1,650 are client chargeable hours.
- Provide thorough factual and legal research and analysis in memoranda and other written documents pertaining to multi-state matters.
- Initial case review, analysis and strategy.
- Communicate with clients regarding case status and strategy.
- Some local, client on-site responsibilities.
- Prepare preliminary objections, motions to dismiss, demurs and discovery responses/requests, interrogatories, motion briefing and related dispositive motions.
- Perform non-chargeable administrative work and other related work as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required
- Understanding of the basic facets of the discovery process (document production and review, interrogatories, depositions) and the ability to draft written discovery, with supervision.
- Ability to conduct and apply thorough legal research and analysis in memoranda and other written work product.
- Familiarity with and ability to prepare basic litigation documents.
- Some familiarity with the basic facets of foreclosure actions preferred.
- Familiarity with procedural rules in states, districts, and courts in which the Staff Attorney practices.
- Ability to learn new substantive legal topics and factual subject matters as needed based on the nature of the litigation.
- Understanding of and ability to apply attorney ethics rules.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to work effectively with others as part of a team.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and to meet deadlines.
Education & Licensure:
Juris Doctor. Qualified candidates must be and remain licensed to practice law and in good standing in the state of employment and at least one United States District Court. During employment, must to meet requirements for continuing licensure for law practice; some opportunities for obtaining in-house CLE via Reed Smith University will be available.
Attorneys with substantive work experience at a law firm or company are strongly preferred as are candidates with a significant amount of judicial clerkship experience.
Experience using and proficiency with MS Office.
Desktop computer and other office equipment such as remote email access device, fax machine, copier, scanner, etc.
Typical Physical Demands:
Sit for extended periods; frequently stand and walk; manual dexterity sufficient to operate standard office equipment; lift and move objects weighing approximately 30 lbs.
Typical Mental Demands:
Factual and legal analysis. Continuous learning of new legal principles and factual subject matters. Must follow up on outstanding issues and keep attorneys informed of status. Regularly handle highly confidential matters with discretion and judgment. Responsible for high volume of work with frequently short deadlines and must be able to deal with stress associated with fast-paced work environment. Works with multiple internal teams as well as external parties and must therefore be able to communicate effectively with various people at all levels.
Works in a typical office setting. May be called upon to work hours in excess of 40 hours in a workweek (including potential for evening and weekend work when required to meet deadlines). Job duties may require occasional travel to other Reed Smith offices and off-site locations.
Please submit resume and salary requirement to:
Carolyn P. Mariano
Director of Human Resources
Reed Smith LLP
20 Stanwix Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
~ no phone calls please ~
~ no search firm submissions accepted ~
Reed Smith is an Equal Opportunity Employer